Hindbærsnitter - Danish Pop Tarts

danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto
The first time I walked around a Danish Bakery I saw some hindbærsnitter and thought, wow! pop tarts! Their so similar I find it hard to believe they weren't the inspiration for the famous toaster treats. Hindbærsnitter are one of the classic wienerbrød you'll  find in every konditori in Denmark,
and a favourite amongst Danes

danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbærsnitter
danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbaersnitter
Shairez and Steffan and the "world's biggest Pop-Tart"
I had never tasted a Pop-Tart. My family was a strict "Cherrios - Shreddies" kind of family.  My mom never bought crazy American breakfast things like Pop-Tarts, or Froot Loops. I finally bought a pack, when I went back to Toronto for a visit, to try them out, but the hindbærsnitter in Denmark had spoiled me. Pop-Tarts are crap by comparison.
If you like Pop-Tarts, you'll love hindbærsnitter. Much more buttery, like shortbread, and better tasting raspberry filling.
I made a batch of hindbærsnitter for the staff at the Palais Royale. We joked that I had made the worlds largest Pop-Tart. Who knows, maybe it was.



This is one of the first Pop-Tart commercials from 1964



 If you can't make to Denmark here is a recipe so you can make  hindbærsnitter yourself


danish pastry wienerbrød baking raspberry shortbread toronto hindbaersnitter


Related Pics

4 comments

Lori said...

I'm so excited to find this post. We were just in Copenhagen in December and we had this at a bakery there. We ordered it because it looked like a Pop Tart. Haha! Glad to have the recipe!

Anonymous said...

How does the egg come into play? It was never mentioned in the recipe....

Steve said...

Thanks for pointing out the error in the recipe.
the egg is mixed with the butter ,flour, and sugars to make the dough

Anonymous said...

Though hindbærsnitter are delicious and indeed a cake of Danish origin, they are not wienerbrød (which is made from a type of puff pastry) but a shortcrust patsry :-) happy baking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X

Contact Me

Name

Email

Message